Williamsport Pennsylvania History
Williamsport, Pa. has one of the best Little League stadiums in the United States, the Little League Museum of the World, but there's so much more to do. Located on the corner of East Main Street and South Street, just a few blocks from the Williamsport Convention Center, it's the good thing we've done in Williamsports, PA this year.
In this building we found one of the largest murals we have found in Pennsylvania that depicts the history and heritage of Williamsport. One of them is the most beautiful mural you will see in Pennsylvania And we did it to present it.
It consists of more than 1,000 works of art, all from the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
History of the West Branch Valley of Susquehanna, edited by Henry B. Ashmead of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1857. History of North and South Pennsylvania in the United States and Canada, "published by the Board of Trade in 1886.
The college has since been integrated into the Pennsylvania State University System under the auspices of the University of Pennsylvania System, the largest public college in the United States.
This attractively designed website presents information about the history of women in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, from its inception to the present day. The source material refers to the history and women of Ly'coming County in Pennsylvania.
When Williamsport became known as the "wood capital of the world," it was also the birthplace of a national newspaper, Grit. The timber industry flourished and newspapers began to expand into small towns across the country. It was around 1891 that Lamade came up with the idea that newspaper makers should sell G grains directly to the public.
In 1939, Little League Baseball was able to field three full teams named after local donor companies, Lycoming Dairy, Lehigh Valley Dairy and Lycome Dairy. The first game at the new ballpark was a game between the Williamsport Blue Bombers and the New York Yankees. In 1937, the first Little League baseball game was played on the field of the old Wilkes-Barre and Scranton High School.
The McCarty brothers divided the former Brady land, with William taking over what is now West Water Street and Muncy Creek. The city was then bordered to the east by the Delaware River, to the west by North Main Street, to the south by East Main Avenue and to the north by South Street. A local edition was circulated, but it bore the name "Williamsport," a reference to William Brady, the first mayor of Williamsport, Pennsylvania.
The later development of the railway brought the river construction work to a standstill, and later there was no passenger traffic in Williamsport. In the mid-20th century, Williamsport was home to the Delaware River Trail, the first of its kind in the United States. Along the route, the post office, now painted as the Williamsport Post Office on US-15, is a nod to William Brady. The post office and the first public library in the city provided information about local events such as concerts, dances and other events.
When the timber industry flourished in the 19th century, Williamsport was known as the "wood capital of the world," and there are many organizations and ways in which the PA has been able to obtain and recognize this title. The original Dunkard pioneers settled in an area of Lycoming County known for the Blooming Grove, and the museum in the historic 1828 Meetinghouse is a museum on the grounds of their original residence.
In May 1835, Williamsport opened its first public school, and the city was home to Little League baseball, which established a three-team league in 1939. Today, Williamsport is a small town connected to the pulse of the nation by highway. The Williamsport Pennsylvania Metropolitan Statistical Area, a population of 117,000, covers an area of about 1.5 million square miles.
The city is home to Little League Baseball, which founded a three-team league in 1939. BB & T Ballpark can truly be considered one of the most famous baseball stadiums in the United States, if not the world.
There were quite a few abolitionists in Pennsylvania, and Enos Hawley, a Quaker from Muncy, was one of them. Elizabeth Gilchrist's sister was the wife of the famous Bishop Joseph Pascal Thompson, whom she met when the former slave from Virginia took the subway to Williamsport. Census records show Annie was raised in Williamsburg by her grandparents and worked as a domestic help. In 1884 Annie married William Lycome, the son of a local farmer and grandson of abolitionist John Lycoming.
David was born and raised in picturesque and historic Hunterdon County, New Jersey, and later earned a bachelor's degree in history from Shippensburg University. He is a retired librarian and author of "Williamsport, Pennsylvania: A History of a Civil War City.